I'm finding that getting started is a bit harder than I thought it would be. The fact that I have an excuse I think only makes it worse, honestly. See, I came down with a wonderful case of mono in April. I feel better now, and have for a few weeks. But even when I was feeling better, my energy wasn't at its normal level. I could function in my daily life without much problem; however, I had some fairly significant stuff going on elsewhere, which was monopolizing the limited energy I had. Work was crazy for a while into the end of May. Once that calmed down, I had concerts for choir and was suddenly out at night more than usual. And in these weeks, it came down to a matter of priority. I simply could not justify chancing having to call out sick for work because I ran 3 miles the night before and that took all my energy.
All of that just ended literally 3 days ago, so now I should be able to get back into the swing of things. Provided I'm not so out of the habit of running that I put off getting started again.
Partly because of this fear, I ended up running last weekend. I was really debating going, since I had concerts that weekend (the end of choir season for me). If I ended up feeling sluggish for the concerts (or worse even, lost my voice or had any sort of chest/throat irritation from running in the mugginess...) my choir director would likely have killed me. :) But I figured I could take it easy, and stop whenever I wanted. And I hadn't been out for a run in WEEKS, and the longer I put it off, the harder it would be to go again.
So I went. And anticipated running 5.5 miles. Which ended up being 6.2 or so, on account of the last water station being put out farther than we realized. Oops.
But I did just fine! So that's very heartening. I was sore the next day, which is to be expected, since I just up and ran that without any sort of lead in (which you're not really supposed to do, but oh well...). Our run this weekend is at Liberty State Park, with the path overlooking the NY Skyline & Statue of Liberty, so I'm really excited about that. I swear, you can get some of the most beautiful scenery while running.
I'm optimistic from here. I want to go out for a short 2 mile or so run tomorrow, and then I have the longer run on Saturday. I'll have more time next week to do runs during the week after work as well. All in all, I think I'll catch up in no time!
Fundraising is starting to look less intimidating as well. I got a number of donations, and am really thrilled at the generosity everyone has shown. It is so encouraging to have that support, and to receive the (sometimes unexpected) contributions. I've got thank you cards in the mail....but if you're reading this, thank you again! I sold some Yankee candles as well which was great! I just sent in a bunch of donations, so now I'm just waiting for my donation page to update. It still says I'm only at $230, even though I'm actually sitting at something like $900 or so.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment